Dartmouth-Hitchcock is home to the largest laboratory in NH, providing Pathology and Clinical Laboratory services to D-H physician practices, D-H hospital affiliates as well as to independent practices and hospitals throughout NH and VT. The department is a leader in process improvement (LEAN/Six Sigma) which has led to a renovated space designed for efficiency of workflow. With a slogan of ‘Investigate, innovate and validate,’ our lab is:
- A high volume lab with cutting edge technology and automation
- A culture that encourages collaboration and teamwork to future innovation.
- A place to learn and grow
Assists in the functioning of the Laboratory Support Services.
This area of the lab is the heart of each section – every sample comes through here to be triaged and the role of these lab assistants is to ensure that the best sample is delivered and processed for testing. Customer service and the ability to multi-task are really important skills for this area. It’s fast-paced and you’ll never be bored; if you are thinking of entering the lab as a career this is a good place to see a little bit of everything.
This is a full-time, 40-hour per week, benefitted, day-shift position.
Responsibilities: A listing of the key responsibilities:
- Assists in directing the day-to-day activities of the laboratory, including daily scheduling, teaching venipunctures technique, and assisting in the selecting, evaluating and training of new personnel.
- Implements computer back up procedures and assists with the supervisor’s duties in their absence.
- Identifies problems and assists in planning and implementing changes for continued improvements in the quality of patient care.
- Processes special billing procedures and oversees the accounts payables.
- Performs a variety of laboratory tests in the area of work, including organizing work assignments to ensure timely completion following established laboratory procedures, operating common laboratory equipment to identify, prepare, and process samples in testing area, assumes responsibility for the quality of specimen preparation, etc.
- Provides support to, oversees, and participates in Laboratory Aide functions.
- Provides support to the Hemophilia Quality Assurance Team.
- Provides formal training sessions of Laboratory Aide departmental policies and procedures to new employees, UNH students and pathology residents.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- High school graduate with 1 year clinical laboratory experience required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
Required Licensure/Certification Skills: