Dartmouth-Hitchcock is home to the largest laboratory in NH, providing Pathology and Clinical Laboratory services to D-H physician practices, D-H hospital affiliates as well as to independent practices and hospitals throughout NH and VT. The department is a leader in process improvement (LEAN/Six Sigma) which has led to a renovated space designed for efficiency of workflow. With a slogan of ‘Investigate, innovate and validate,’ our lab is:
- A high volume lab with cutting edge technology and automation
- A culture that encourages collaboration and teamwork to future innovation.
- A place to learn and grow
The Pathology Technician provides technical support to the following services: Surgical Pathology, Histology, Autopsy, and Hazardous Materials Management. This candidate will work with Pathology Residents, Pathologist's Assistants, Histotechnicians and Pathologists in a collaborative environment. The Histology laboratory is a very fast paced area which creates microscopic slides for diagnosis from surgical and autopsy tissue samples. We are looking for an enthusiatic team member with an interest or background in anatomy and biology.
Candidates for this position to have obtained their HS Diploma or GED, with some laboratory experience required. An Associate's degree in science or licensed school of mortuary is preferred.
This is a full-time, 40-hour per week, benefitted evening-shift position working from 3:00pm -11:30pm. The evening shift receives a 10% shift differential. This position does not require work on weekends or holidays.
Responsibilities: A listing of the key responsibilities:
- Correctly identifies specimens and labels processing materials.
- Provides gross bench with materials and supplies required for specimen preparation.
- Assists with frozen section preparation as requested by bench personnel.
- Disposes of surgical specimens per established departmental policy.
- Prepares and autoclaves instruments and materials needed for specimen processing activities in both Surgical Pathology and Microbiology.
- Correctly identifies specimens and maintains identification throughout processing.
- Prepares specimens for microscopic evaluation per established protocols.
- Follows up on abnormal cytology results per established protocol.
- Maintains tissue processors, stainers, and coverslippers. Prepares stock solutions for Vitek sterile saline.
- Assists Microbiology Staff Technologists in management of incoming media.
- Ensures the proper identification of autopsy subject and that all necessary paperwork is completed before the postmortem examination is performed. Prepares patient for prosection.
- Performs gross dissections (ex. bowel, brain) with little supervision.
- Apportions tissue specimens to medical investigators as requested for diagnostic and teaching purposes, ensuring that all specimens are accurately and appropriately labeled.
- Properly closes patients and prepares them for discharge. Ensures expedient processing of patients.
- Cleans/sterilizes instruments and cleans the autopsy suite after each use.
- Leaves area prepared for next case. Sets up instrument trays.
- Organizes and prepares organs for gross conference. Cleans autopsy suite after conference. Disposes of autopsy specimens following established departmental policy.
- Removes hazardous bulk waste materials from laboratory each working day. Pours into appropriate bulk drums in hazardous waste shed following established departmental policies. Ensures that all material is properly labeled and in appropriate containers prior to removal to storage shed.
- Maintains inventory of flammable materials and formalin. Distributes materials to areas within Anatomic Pathology upon request.
- Maintains recycling activities for solvents. Ensures that all material is properly labeled and stored. Maintains appropriate logs and recycling equipment. Reports all problems to the Senior Pathology Technician immediately.
- Assists with the collection and storage of hazardous waste from the Clinical Laboratory. Works closely with Facilities Management and the Assistant Supervisor to ensure the requirements for various regulatory agencies are met. Inspects waste storage shed each work day according to check list located in shed. Check off all required items and initial as indicated. Ensures that drums are grounded.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- High school graduate with 2 years of applicable laboratory experience required.
- Associate’s degree in science or licensed school of mortuary science preferred.
Required Licensure/Certification Skills: