The Manager of Transfusion Medicine provides management oversight of the Transfusion Medicine Services (TMS) including Blood Bank, Cell Therapy Center, Blood Donor Program, and the Transfusion Medicine Research Center within the Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine. They facilitate alignment of practices with regulatory requirements and assures compliance and provide management support for the section supervisors in daily operations of assigned areas and with Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health member hospitals. They coordinate long term planning activities from clinical and operational perspectives and integrates the institutional perspective into Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health operating systems.
We are seeking an engaged, energetic leader and hands-on team player to partner with and work collaboratively with our Medical Directors and Supervisors to oversee Dartmouth-Hitchcock’s Transfusion Medicine Service and our Blood Donor Program. The successful candidate will also use their experience as a strategic leader to contribute to the development of a centralized transfusion service for the D-H Health System.
Responsibilities: a listing of the key responsibilties:
- Collaboratively lead the Transfusion Medicine Division, with the TMS Medical Directors. Provide direction and necessary level of support to the TMS section supervisors. Ensure the TMS sections function smoothly and provide a high level of quality laboratory services that meet the needs of the DHMC providers, patients, and donors.
- Ensure adequate staffing models are in place across the TMS section. During supervisor vacancies determines priorities, staff schedules, and provides direct oversight and ensures technical staff competencies are met.
- Provides financial management activities of assigned sections including assisting TMS section supervisors with annual budget preparation, ongoing monitoring of TMS sections’ budget performance and developing strategies for improvement and/or correction of deviations from budget.
- Facilitates the review process and proposals for modifying the TMS operational systems and implements necessary changes; including the capital selection of equipment, automation, and testing methodologies of the section along with the TMS Medical Directors and supervisors.
- Collaboratively develops and monitors department quality indicators. Participates in quality assurance and process improvement projects or teams as needed.
- Responsible for critical regulatory oversight and management to maintain inspection readiness of the Blood Bank, Blood Donor Program and Cell Therapy Center by multiple regulatory agencies.
- Prepares and presents employee performance appraisals to direct reports and follow-up in timely manner. When necessary, provides TMS section supervisors support in performing personnel performance improvement activities in a timely manner and ensures thorough documentation to support actions. Monitors and coaches employees with focus for improvement and development of performance and knowledge in their field.
- Provide oversight and active support of the TMS Information system implementation and other software updates. Ensure all systems are compliant with regularly requirements; monitor and implement required updates to align with new regulations and guidances.
- Completes special projects as requested.
- Contributes to the formation of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine Department strategic goals and tactics that are aligned with the overall goals and mission of the health system.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Bachelors degree required with minimum 8 years laboratory experience including 4 years in a supervisory or lead position OR other advanced degree with relevant experience.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Familiarity with regulatory agencies affecting area of influence.
Required Licensure/Certification Skills: