D-H Medical Center
Sign-On/Retention incentives: up to $2500* for day-shift position
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center and Clinics is home to the largest laboratory in NH, providing Pathology and Clinical Laboratory services to DHMC and Clinics physician practices, Dartmouth Health member hospital as well as to independent practices and hospitals throughout NH and VT. The department is a leader in process improvement (LEAN/Six Sigma) which has led to a renovated space designed for efficiency of workflow. With a slogan of ‘Investigate, innovate and validate,’ our lab is:
- A high volume lab with cutting edge technology and automation
- A culture that encourages collaboration and teamwork to future innovation.
- A place to learn and grow
Our Laboratory Assistants receives laboratory specimens from inpatient units, outpatient clinics, and from outside institutions. Candidates for this position need to have obtained their HS Diploma or GED, with some college coursework and previous laboratory experience preferred. We are looking for candidates who have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, demanding environment. Our laboratory team is a high-functioning, dedicated team of professionals who work hard to highest possible standard.
This position is located in the Blood Bank section of the Laboratory. This area of the lab focuses on storing and preparing blood products to be transfused in patients during emergencies and surgeries. The lab assistant role in here, accepts samples for testing and helps get the blood products to the care team. There are other roles within the section to keep the lab running smoothly and the team in the Blood Bank relies heavily on their lab assistants to keep the area organized and calm.
This is a full-time, 40-hour per week, day-shift position. This position requires weekends and holidays on rotation.
- Performs functions related to demographic data, test requisitioning, labels and reports. Processes specimens.
- Processes blood/components and reagents into inventory.
- Assumes primary responsibility for answering the telephone, directing calls to the appropriate personnel, and taking messages.
- Dispensing of blood/components in accordance with departmental policies and procedures to meet regulatory requirements.
- Maintain blood component inventory including coordinating inventory needs from outside blood suppliers.
- Work with the Hemophilia Treatment Center to ensure an adequate coagulation factor inventory, process orders, and process billing as appropriate.
- Perform simple quality control procedures on specific department equipment and report appropriately upon detection.
- Operates the pneumatic tube system (PTS) to ensure timely delivery of laboratory specimens.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
- High school graduate required.
- Coursework toward a college degree preferred.
- Previous laboratory experience preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a fast paced, demanding environment required.
Don’t meet every single requirement?
- Area of Interest: Allied Health;
- FTE/Hours per pay period: 1.00 – 1.00 – 40 hrs/week;
- Shift: Day;
- Job ID: 20055;